All loose rugs are cleaned in our local warehouse. This ensures that the rug gets the most thorough cleaning possible. Rugs are cleaned in the warehouse using the following steps:
- Pre Inspection ~ Your rug will be inspected to determine fiber content, dye stability and condition. We will outline the expected results with you. A technician will come to your location to pick up your rug or you can drop it by our shop. We offer a discount if you bring it to us.
- Dry Soil Removal ~ Woven rugs, especially hand knotted rugs are designed to hide dry soil. A study by the Eureka Company found that a 9 x 12 rug could hide 85 pounds of dirt. We use a variety of techniques to “dust” the rugs from the front and back. This is the most important step in cleaning any textile.
- Pre Condition ~ Depending on fiber content and soiling type, the rug will be pre-tested to soften the soils.
- Pre Spot and Fringe Protection ~ Any potentially difficult spot will be pre-tested with special solutions to increase chances or removal. The fringe is also pre-treated for maximum soil removal.
- Wash & Rinse ~ Depending on the type of rug, it will be washed and rinsed with extraction equipment or washed in a was pit designed expecially for oriental rugs.
- Dry ~ Once the soil is rinsed away, the rug is dried flat or hung to dry in a controlled environment. Proper drying is essential to avoid unnatural shrinkage.
- Finishing ~ When the rug is dry, it is combed and finished with soft groomer made for specialty rugs.
- Post Inspection and Delivery ~ Our cleaning specialists will give the rug a final inspection and release it for pickup or delivery. Upon delivery, we will lay out the rug for you.