How to Remove Mold from your House

Mold growth inside of the home can cause all kinds of trouble, and that is why it’s important to remove mold for your home. The mold can trigger asthma, lead to respiratory infections, and cause allergic illness. Mold will find your home to be an inviting place in spots that are damp. Even areas affected by flooding or after a rain. Mold spores are a natural part of our environment. But the fungi can become a major health hazard if left to propagate inside the home, and this is why it’s important to learn how to remove mold from a house.

Identify the source of moisture

Removing mold from a house requires two major steps. First, the homeowner will need to identify where the moisture is coming from. Repair leaky roofs and replace faulty plumbing. Replace structural beams, and seal the basement from moisture and dampness. This will be the most crucial step. Without removing the source of moisture, mold can come back. Homeowners would always be removing mold if the moisture source was not corrected.

Homeowners may need to replace entire walls or beams within the house if the mold growth is pervasive. Wallpaper and carpeting will likely need replacing. Metal and glass items can often be cleaned and reused. If mold has contaminated air ducts then they will need cleaning and inspecting. Some parts of the air duct systems may need replacing if the material is porous. That will make it and unable to be disinfected.

 Clean and disinfect the area to remove mold

The next major step to remove mold from a house is to thoroughly clean the affected areas. The mold will need to be physically removed from the house.

Always wear protective equipment, such as face masks and gloves, when removing mold from a building. Spray the areas with a water-and-detergent mixture to minimize the spores that will get into the air. Then scrub the contaminated areas using a non-ammonia soap and hot water. Commercial cleaning products can also be used. Rinse with clean water and remove any excess moisture from the area. A disinfectant solution can now be applied. To prevent the regrowth of mold, it’s important to dry the surfaces as soon as possible.